Dementia - what to ask your doctor
You are caring for someone who has dementia. Below are questions you may want to ask your health care provider to help you take care of that person.
What to ask your doctor about dementia; Alzheimer - what to ask your doctor; Cognitive impairment - what to ask your doctor
Are there ways that I can help someone with their memory around the home?
How should I talk with someone who is losing or has lost their memory?
- What type of words should I use?
- What is the best way to ask them questions?
- What is the best way to give instructions to someone with memory loss?
How can I help someone with dressing? Are some clothes or shoes easier? Will an occupational therapist be able to teach us skills?
What is the best way to react when the person I am caring for becomes confused, hard to manage, or does not sleep well?
- What can I do to help calm the person down?
- Are there activities that are more likely to agitate them?
- Can I make changes around the home that will help keep the person calmer?
What should I do if the person I am caring for wanders around?
- How can I keep them safe when they do wander?
- Are there ways to keep them from leaving the home?
How can I keep the person I am caring for from hurting themselves around the house?
- What should I hide?
- Are there changes in the bathroom or kitchen I should make?
- Are they able to take their own medicines?
What are the signs that driving is becoming unsafe?
- How often should this person have a driving evaluation?
- What are the ways I can lessen the need for driving?
- What are the steps to take if the person I am caring for refuses to stop driving?
What diet should I give this person?
- Are there hazards I should watch for while this person is eating?
- What should I do if this person starts to choke?
Alzheimer's Association. Dementia Care Practice Recommendations for Professionals Working in a Home Setting. 2009. Available at: www.alz.org/national/documents/phase_4_home_care_recs.pdf. Accessed November 5, 2014.
Knopman DS. Alzheimer's disease and other dementias. In: Goldman L, Schafer AI, eds. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Saunders; 2011:chap 409.
Reviewed By: Joseph V. Campellone, M.D., Division of Neurology, Cooper University Hospital, Camden, NJ. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Isla Ogilvie, PhD, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.